SEISMIC PROTECTION OF
October 31 – November 1, 2011
The World Council of Civil Engineers (WCCE), the European Council of Civil Engineers (ECCE) and the Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers (TCCE) are jointly organising a conference on the seismic protection of cultural heritage to be held in Antalya, Turkey on Oct 31 – Nov 1, 2011.
All those interested in various aspects of the seismic protection of cultural heritage are invited to participate in the WCCE-ECCE-TCCE Joint Conference. Papers reporting good quality experimental or analytical research and those reflecting interesting practical applications will be most welcome.
The major objective of the Joint Conference is to contribute to the betterment of the seismic retrofitting and restoration practice on cultural heritage, through disseminating the recent research results and communicating the recent successful applications.
The scope of the conference is rather broad to embrace all aspects of the problem concerning the
architectural, structural, material etc dimensions.
• Cultural, artistic and historic evaluation
• Seismic vulnerability evaluation
• Seismic repair and strengthening
• Seismic monitoring and seismic control
• Innovative analytical approaches
• Innovative techniques
• Innovative materials
A number of carefully chosen invited speakers, distinguished international experts, will inform the civil engineering and architecture communities about the recent progress in the area of seismic protection of cultural heritage. The keynote speakers will be chosen from various areas of expertise, representing various continents to the extent possible.
A number of good quality papers reflecting best practice and up-to-date research will be presented at the conference.
Poster presentations will also be accepted to the Conference on the basis of the authors’ preferences and/or the reviewers’ recommendations.
International Advisory Board
The International Advisory Board will meet twice prior to the conference to discuss the organisational principles and to advice the Organising Committee. The Board members are,
• Emilio Colon, WCCE President
• Vassilis Economopoulos, ECCE President
• Serdar Harp, TCCE President
• Tugrul Tankut, Organising Committee Chair
The Organising Committee consists of the following members:
• Ahunbay, Zeynep, Istanbul Technical University
• Akcan, Serhat, Ministry of Culture & Tourism
• Cengiz, Safak, General Directorate of Foundations
• Cili, Feridun, Istanbul Technical University
• Dari, Levent, Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers
• Ersoy, Ugur, Bogazici University
• Gul, Melike, Antalya Regional Council for Conservation of Cultural and Natural Assets
• Karaesmen, Erhan, Middle East Technical University
• Kumsal, Goksel, Metropolitan Municipality of Antalya
• Madran, Emre, Middle East Technical University
• Oguz, Cem, Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers Antalya
• Soydemir, Faruk, Turkish Chamber of Architects
• Soygur, Unsal, Gazi University
• Tankut, Tugrul, Middle East Technical University
• Unay, Ali Ihsan, Gazi University
The Scientific Committee consists of a list of eminent international experts who will assess the
submitted papers and will advice the Organising Committee about academic issues.
The Scientific Committee members will be chosen from various countries in such a way to cover
various areas within the scope of the conference.
The two-day Joint Conference will follow the ECCE General Assembly Meeting to be held in the last week of October 2011.
Thursday 27 Arrivals & registration
Friday 28 ECCE Executive Board & Standing Committees
Saturday 29 ECCE General Assembly
Sunday 30 Sightseeing
Mon & Tues 31 & 1 WCCE-ECCE-TCCE Joint Conference
Wednesday 2 Departures
The Conference will be held in Antalya, a town full of natural and historical attractions and a major destination for most of the international airlines. Conference activities will take place in one of the reasonably priced luxury hotels located on the Turkish Riviera.
• Last date for abstract submission 16 January 2011
• Notification of abstract acceptance 28 February 2011
• Last date for paper submission 30 April 2011
• Notification of paper acceptance 31 May 2011
• Finalised manuscript submission 31 July 2011
• Conference date 31 Oct - 1 Nov 2011